Comprehensive Guide to Australia's Student Visa (Subclass 500)


General introduction

Australia issues student visas - subclass 500 to international students for higher education. It is valid up to 5 years from the date of enrolment. Typically, the fee is 710 AUD (Australian dollars) - until exempt. Apart from studying, it allows students to work up to 48 hours per fortnight while studying. Around 90% of student visa applications in the higher education sector get processed within 3 months. By following certain guidelines specified by Australian authorities, students can expedite the process.

Respicite Tip:

Please book a session with ourcareer counselling expert to get a deeper understanding. 


Student must 

  • Be below 20 years of age when starting class 12th
  • Provide Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) for each course of study. The course must be a full-time course registered with CRICOS.
  • Can apply to take 2 or more courses on your student visa where one course clearly leads to the next. Course gaps must be less than two calendar months. Otherwise, first course should finish at the end of the standard academic year and the next course should commence at the beginning of the standard academic year.
  • Must have adequate welfare arrangements if younger than 18 years on entry into Australia.
  • hold overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC), or fall in one of the exemption categories
  • have required English language proficiency 

To continue studying in Australia beyond 5 years, students must apply for a new Student visa. Similarly, the student should familiarize herself with the conditions attached to the subclass 500 student visa.

A visa is digitally linked to a student passport. Students will not get a label on their passport.

Only a registered migration agent, a legal practitioner or an exempt person can help you with your visa application. Exempt persons can include a nominator, sponsor or a close family member apart from certain other categories. If a student holds or holds a student visa and completed specific qualifications in Australia in the last six months, you might be eligible for a Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485).If you are a recent engineering graduate of a recognized institution you might be eligible for the Skilled Recognition Graduate visa (subclass 476).


International students must understand the eligibility criteria, application processes and visa conditions. Then only can they navigate Australia's student visa (subclass 500). In Australia, process is streamlined. It also provides work rights. Thus, Australia offers a conducive environment for pursuing higher education. Please consult Respicite's career counselling or study-abroad consultants. This shall ensure a smooth transition and maximize their educational experience in Australia.